Thoughts

Thoughts and Adventures From Greenlite Heavy Industries

Monday, June 9, 2014

Fast and Furious


 
I don’t know but maybe I enjoy criterium racing more than cyclocross.  Is that possible?

Cruterium season here in Seattle is now well underway with one of our biggest events – the Ballard Crit – now in the rearview mirror.  My team held nine of the seventy five slots in the Cat 4/5 race and we rode away with a hard fought third place finish.  Not bad considering that the winner was the top American finisher in the 2013 Race Across America (RAAM).
 
True to form the Ballard Crit was fast and furious from the starting bell.  The road surface varied from potholes to broken asphalt to paving bricks and the turns were tight.  The peloton riding was awesome from my vantage; everyone was solid and predictable.  Unfortunately I flatted about fifteen minutes into the festivities.

This was my first flat in a sanctioned race and up until now I’ve had an “if I flat I’m out” attitude.  No more.  I could have easily run to the pits and got a neutral wheel.  Next time I won’t be such a gumbie and will hustle it to the pits and get back in the race.

No comments: