Thoughts

Thoughts and Adventures From Greenlite Heavy Industries

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What Doesn't Kill You...

Six weeks to Ironman Canada and I'm in the big volume portion of my training. Tomorrow I have a 120 mile bike ride and on Saturday I have a three and a half hour run. All of the effort I put in at the beginning of the season seems to be paying off as I seem to be able to absorb these big workouts without either burnout or injury. Yesterday, however, was a notable exception.

My coach is into speed, just finishing isn't good enough; I guess that's one of the reasons I went with him. Over the course of the past few months I've learned that in order to go fast you need to train fast, and yesterday I had a killer session of ten one mile repeats. I did the workout on a bike trail with my son on his mini mountain bike. He wore my Garmin 405 and rode ahead one mile and waited for me to catch up, dang I never knew a mile could be so long. He was a great coach, always ready with a high five and an offer of a pull from his water bottle. I managed to go sub seven minutes for each interval and even managed a best time of 6:30.

We did the workout during the heat of the day - 88 Degrees Fahrenheit - in order to acclimitize for Penticton, and the combination of heat and exertion had me sick to my stomach and dizzy till about eight o-clock that night. If you were to tell me a year ago that I'd be doing sub seven minute mile repeats I'd of smiled and kept walking, but I guess pain does bring progress.

No comments: