Thoughts

Thoughts and Adventures From Greenlite Heavy Industries

Friday, March 21, 2014

Thrill Ride


In my past I’ve done some stuff that could possibly qualify as adrenalin rush, thrill seeking, but I’m on the fence about that.  I never went to the mountains looking for a thrill, I did go looking for a challenge, some serenity, beauty, but the adrenalin was more hazard pay than base salary.  Bicycle racing has changed all that.

I race for the thrill of it.

Maybe some motor sports and some forms of horse racing would compare, but other than that I have a hard time conjuring up a sport that provides a thrill equal to racing a bicycle on pavement.  Riding twenty seven miles an hour six inches behind, six inches to the right, six inches to the left and six inches in front of other racers provides an “in the moment, total focus” experience that I have yet to find in any other life experience.  It is stressful, but the stress is exhilarating. 

I suppose that I’ve spent enough time on a bike, or I have yet to really hit the ground hard, but whatever the reason I’m fairly comfortable in the pack.  My only worry is that I’ll cause an accident and be labeled a “phred” a “gomer” someone who can’t be trusted to ride in a straight line.

The nice thing is that you don’t have to be a pro rider to experience the thrill of bike racing.  Anyone with a descent set of wheels and some good lungs can get out there throw down.

No comments: