Thoughts

Thoughts and Adventures From Greenlite Heavy Industries

Friday, April 5, 2013

The Edge of Possibility


This is what it's all about
So I won the lottery and got into the Leadville 100 mile mountain bike race.  The race works like this: finish in nine hours and get a big belt buckle, finish in twelve and get a small belt buckle, go over twelve hours and you get a fat DNF.  Twelve hours for a 100 mile effort on a mountain bike at altitude (+10,000 ft) is a big ask, sub nine hours – that’s the edge of possibility.

I would equate a sub nine hour performance at Leadville to a sub three hour marathon or a sub ten hour Ironman – just on the right side of possible for the mortal athlete.  So my question is: is it reasonable for a forty eight year old man with low to moderate technical mountain biking skills to set an 8:59:59 goal for Leadville.  No it’s probably not reasonable, but I’ll do it anyway.

It will take some serious effort for me to simply finish the race in the allotted twelve hours much less nine, so I’m going to have to develop an equally serious preparation program.  I see preparation as a five pronged effort: fitness, body weight, technical skills development, acclimatization and maintenance of good health.

Watch the blog as I brainstorm over each of these “five fingers” of my training program.  Feel free to comment as I’ll need all the help I can get.

No comments: